To donate online to the Hugh and Helen Hincks Fund, click on the donate button below and select the Huge and Helen Hincks Fund in the drop down. If you prefer to donate by cheque, please download and complete this form and mail it to the Foundation's office (our address is on the form).
The Hincks children wanted to honour their parents’ love for winter mountain travel and their respect for furthering public avalanche safety initiatives, research and education by setting up a fund in their memory. The response to the memorial fund in their parents’ names has been overwhelming. "For the Hincks family to set aside their immediate grief and try to make something positive out of such a tragedy shows amazing character and strength," said ACF Past President, Chris Stethem.
At the request of the Hincks family, the Avalanche Canada Foundation will manage and direct memorial funds toward avalanche education initiatives that will impact high school students. Since inception, the Hugh and Helen Hincks Fund has raised over $140,000 for the following projects:
- “Behind the Lines” Facebook page—aimed at mentoring young riders
- “The Fine Line”—an avalanche education training video
- Translating the “The Fine Line” into French
- Supporting youth education programs
Applications for funding will be reviewed by the ACF Grants Committee. First preference will be given to projects or initiatives that are determined to have the greatest impact on youth education relating to avalanche safety. Applications for individual courses will not be accepted.
1. Complete the ACF application form. Download the form here.
2. Prepare a written proposal (maximum 3 pages) explaining the following:
- Name of the proposed project or initiative
- Names and affiliations of all project team members
- Description of the project or initiative
- Describe how the project or initiative relates to youth education
- Include a proposed budget and timeline for the project or initiative
Submit both the application form and the written proposal via email to the ACF no later than May 31 or September 30 at firstname.lastname@example.org.